21 Surprising Facts About Cinco de Mayo
Some important things to keep in mind today while pounding Coronas and guac till you puke.
- It’s actually on March 17th.
- "Beans, beans" were not the original musical fruit; that honor goes to traditional Latin gourd instruments like the güiro.
- The phrase “Cinco de Mayo” is a palindrome if you have enough tequila.
- All sour cream expires on May 6th so you have to use it up.
- Cinco de Mayo honors a tribe of ancient Mayans who miraculously refried the same beans for five straight nights.
- A 2010 study by the RAND Corporation confirms that the holiday is, in fact, more like drinko de Mayo.
- Every time you eat a jalapeño popper on Cinco De Mayo an angel gets its wings.
- Cinco de Mayo commemorates the first five-member Mariachi band to fit in a single New York City subway car.
- Spiciness notwithstanding, Julianna Margulies is Jewish.
- Every Cinco de Mayo, Governor Jan Brewer is legally required to open the padlock fence between Arizona and Mexico and no passports are needed.